Life, yoga and other adventures

Click here for my general blog, Life, yoga and other adventures

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Back on my hobby-horse

Many of you will know that I have a bit of a thing about brand-name yoga. I'm not talking about respected traditions, such as Iyengar, but rather the proliferation of such practices as Goat Yoga and Beer Yoga. Sticking the word 'yoga' in the name doesn't make it right, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Now, I'm sure that some of the leaders of these classes are teaching with integrity and are genuinely trying to find a way to introduce yoga to as many people as they can. I'm equally sure, though, that for some it's just a kerching move, aimed at separating gullible hipsters from their money.

Twice in the last week I've heard about PiYo (note that annoying upper case Y). This is apparently a fusion of Pilates and yoga and not the latest in pick-your-own veg - although it might as well be. Pilates is a fine practice. It has proved beneficial to many people, including those who also practise yoga. My question is: why the mash-up? Why not teach both, but separately?

It is, as they say where I come from, neither t'other nor which.

No comments:

Post a Comment