Life, yoga and other adventures

Click here for my general blog, Life, yoga and other adventures

Thursday 6 August 2015

Same journey, different path

As a yoga teacher, I feel duty bound to come up with something very profound to accompany this picture, taken at my allotment. The plant on the left is a tap-rooted thistle; the one on the right is a puny parsnip. They were pulled out from the same patch of soil on the allotment where they had been growing side by side.

It is a source of great frustration that the weed, which I don't want, has found its way downwards unimpeded by stones, while the parsnip, which I do want, has become stunted and deformed because it couldn't grow round a pebble.

OK, here's a bit of tongue-in-cheek philosophy for you: are you like the plant that keeps going straight and true whatever life throws at you; or are you like the one that gives up at the first sign of trouble?

5 comments:

  1. I keep going, no matter what life throws at me...I didn't realise there was a choice. :-) Only joking, seriously though, you have have to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get on with it, don't you?

    I've learnt that when plan A goes wrong, you switch to plan B, and often its a better path to take in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Maria. We have to keep on keeping on. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture is a perfect metaphor for the different ways of facing adversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, C Lee, but very frustrating for a gardener!

      Delete
  4. All said and done I take the line of least resistance. I mean why fight battles all along the way when your life is short. Make the best of it :-)
    So you are a Yoga teacher !
    I took up Yoga again after a lull. The best form of exercise. And I like what I am doing (Iyengar Yoga) See blog on it.
    http://joezachs.blogspot.in/2014/03/the-journey-inward.html

    ReplyDelete