Life, yoga and other adventures

Click here for my general blog, Life, yoga and other adventures

Monday 24 August 2015

Let's chant

Image result for om symbolOver the years I've been to lots of different classes that have incorporated elements of chanting and various workshops dedicated to the exploration of mantra and kirtan. However, last night I had a new experience when I joined a group of people to chant just for the joy of it.

There was no lengthy explanation of what the words meant or practising of the 'tune' beforehand: we just did it. After a short pranayama to settle us, we had a few quiet breaths then someone led us into some Om repetitions. A pause, then another person led something - and so on for about an hour. It reminded me of a Quaker meeting, where there is no structure to a gathering and anyone can step up when moved to do so. Some of the chants were unfamiliar and during those I simply sat and listened, which was a rare treat. Some were call and response; for others we just jumped in when we were ready. It was spontaneous and natural.

It reminded me that there is so much more to yoga than the physical practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment